Monday, August 8, 2011

What is the easiest genre to get published in?




hi every one.
Just some writers views on the above topic.
cheers. Thomas H Green.

virtue_summer
I don't think there is an easiest genre. Romance is a huge market, but that's because there are so many people out there who like to read and write it. That's the key. They like it. If you don't like it, it's not the genre for you. The way that you write it will show the reader that you dislike it and because you don't read it the book will likely be full of cliches that you, in your limited exposure to the genre, have decided are what make a successful romance. It will be a disaster. My advice is to stop worrying about finding an easiest genre because the easiest genre is going to be the one that you can excel at writing in which is likely to be the one you enjoy the most yourself as a reader. Can you imagine in Stephen King had tried to write romance novels instead of horror stories because he thought they were easier, if John Grisham decided legal thrillers were harder to break into and had spent all his time trying to write for Harlequin? Writers find


BenPanced
I read this thread about old tired cliches (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116382) and I have to wonder if the romance genre -- a genre I don't read because I don't like it -- is the easiest genre for a first time author to get published in.
Then don't consider writing romance. If you don't read it, you can't do the necessary market research on what the current trends are.

The romance market is huge. And there are so many bad books in it that it makes me wonder if I should start by writing a romance novel just to get my foot in the door. I mean, once you're published, isn't it easier to get a second book?
There are many "bad" books in any given genre. It's completely subjective, and considering you've already said you don't read romance novels, you'll probably consider all romance novels "bad". It'll show in your writing you don't like the genre and nobody will pick up the manuscript to be published, no matter how closely you follow the publisher's guidelines (Harlequin has specific formulas authors must adhere to).

And once you've gotten your first novel published, there's still no guarantee you'll have a second. It all depends on how well the first does.

How easy is it to jump genres once you are published?

There are no "gimmes" in the publishing business. If you prefer writing crime fiction, start there. Build a career first.

Karen Duvall
I know the thread you're talking about, and though there are some badly written romance novels out there (there's badly written everything out there), it's not an easy genre to write. My hat's off to writers who can do it well, and many can! I wrote one, it was published (a romantic suspense that was admittedly more suspense than romance because writing romance takes a special kind of skill that I apparently don't have), and now I stick to writing urban fantasy because I really love to read it and write it. That's what comprises the majority of the books on my many bookshelves. That said, there's always a bit of romance in all the stories I write. I can't imagine a genre book without at least some!

It takes special skill to write romance novel because the main plot of the story is the romance. It's very challenging to write a 90,000 to 100,000 word book focused primarily on a relationship between two people falling in love. I have a tremendous amount of admiration for anyone who can do this well. I've seen it done badly more often than not, which is why good romance stories are written by exceptionally skilled writers. Not just anyone can write one.

Don't try to write something you don't like to read. It will show, and everyone who reads it will hate it just as much as you do. Instead, try to think about why you want to write a novel in the first place. Start there and see where it takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment